Thursday, February 8, 2007

Does it make me a conservative...

If I'm incredibly distressed at the idea that $8.8 BILLION dollars have magically been disbursed with no plan and no budget? In a country where people are actively trying to kill American soldiers (and each other)?

Have you heard about this? It's crazy.

Questions were raised about an audit report issued in 2005 by Mr. Bowen that concluded that more than $8.8 billion in cash was disbursed without adequate financial controls.

I don't want to get political or debate the foundations of the war in Iraq. I'm just a touch bitter that I'm budgeting my few hundreds each month, and this guy, Former Ambassador L. Paul Bremer is sending out billions of dollars willy-nilly? And no one's getting upset about this until now?

The Federal Reserve disbursed $12 billion dollars in CASH, by the way. That's 363 tons of money. Tons.

I would be less distressed if he said, "We spent it on kickbacks and bribes in order to actually get something done in a corrupt and unstable war zone,and on trying to distribute wealth to the Iraqi people to help alleviate some suffering." Maybe they should've thought a little more closely about those goals and documented the money trail, but at least they'd know where the money was.

What he said was actually "I have no idea, I can't tell you whether the money went to the right things or didn't - nor do I actually think it's important."

I wonder what my creditors would say if I said that? I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that some laughing in my face would be happening.

No comments: